Our newsletter contains information about upcoming GCG activities and other events and issues from around the catchment and the ACT region.
Lower Ginninderra Creek Riparian Restoration Project
The Lower Ginninderra Creek Riparian Restoration Project (LGCRRP) is cross border collaboration between The Ginninderra Catchment Group (GCG), Greening Australia (GA), Regional Landcare Groups, Upper Murrumbidgee Catchment Coordinating Committee (UMCCC), Conservation Volunteers Australia, National Green Job Skills (NGJS) and the Yass Valley Council. The Federal and ACT Governments have provided funding for the project through the Department of Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) and the ACT NRM Council. See the Landcare> Projects page for more information.
List Of Equipment Available For Groups To Borrow
Frogwatch Online and Waterwatch Online
Ginninderra Catchment Group Bi-monthly Meeting
All are welcome to the group's meeting, typically on the first Monday night of every second month at 5.30pm, & held at the Kippax Health Centre in Kippax, behind the shopping centre. Please contact the Ginninderra Catchment Group if you are interested in attending. Or for more information call (02) 62783309 or email email@example.com. The next meeting is on the 4th June 2012.
ACT ENVIRONMENT GRANTS - CLOSING DATE EXTENDED UNTIL 11TH MAY
More than $170,000 in grant funds for the Canberra community is available under the 2012/2013 ACT Environment Grants. The ACT Environment grants program is looking to fund projects that:
· support the community in achieving positive nature conservation outcomes
· implement practical management of plant and animal pests
· promote climate change abatement and/or sustainability through on-ground actions and/or;
· involve the local Indigenous community in environmental activities.”
The upper limit of funding for individual projects is $50,000. Grants could be awarded for projects that support community engagement for action to help threatened species and ecological communities such as grasslands and woodlands.
For more information go to http://www.environment.act.gov.au/environment2/2010-11_environment_grants
If you would like to become involved in any activities mentioned above or in the Ginninderra catchment please call (02) 6278 3309 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put you in contact with the group(s).
|Category Type||Member Group|
|Parkcare and Landcare Christmas Party||9 December, 2014 - 17:30||Landcare||Other|
|GCG Annual General Meeting and Christmas Party||8 December, 2014 - 18:00||Landcare||GCG|
|Ginninderra Falls Aboriginal Heritage Walk||30 November, 2014 - 09:00||Landcare||Other|
|Aboriginal Heritage Umbagong Planting||29 November, 2014 - 08:00||Landcare|
|Crace Landcare Group Launch||23 November, 2014 - 08:00||Landcare|
2. Local News, Opportunities and Events
ANUgreen Seasonal Bird Surveys
The Australian National University Sustainability Office ANUgreen is preparing for its seasonal bird surveys, and we hope that YOU can volunteer! These surveys will be an important step in monitoring and protecting native birds in the ACT region. Experience not essential, and training will be provided.
4 seasonal surveys will be carried out during 2012–13 (January, April, July, October), with the first planned for Saturday 21st January 2012. The data collected will build on the Lower Sullivans Creek Catchment Ecological Survey and Life in the Suburbs project. Our proposed survey area will include sites in ANU, ANBG, CSIRO, National Museum of Australia, Black Mountain Peninsula, Civic West and parts of Turner.
Native Plant Guide
The Australian Native Plant Guide is ideal for home and landscape gardeners, farmers, government departments, Councils, Landcare groups, students and anyone interested in Australian Native plants. The new version has over 500 photographs of native plants and includes a filter to select species that meet your requirements. You can download a free copy of the Australian Native Plant Guide from the Native Shop website. Visit http://nativegrowth.com.au/nativeguide
Australian National Botanic Gardens Botanical Resource Centre
Want to improve your plant identification skills? Have a speciman you want to identify? Why not use the The Botanical Resource Centre, located within the Australian National Botanic Gardens. This is a free facility available to anyone interested in learning to identify and obtain information about native plants. The centre is open daily from 9.30am to 4.30pm. See the website for further information: http://www.anbg.gov.au/gardens/research/resource/index.html
Looking for more information of events across the ACT region?
Why not try the ACT Landcare website at http://www.actlandcare.org.au/
3. National News, Opportunities and Events
Websites Which May Be of Interest
- http://www.transitionnetwork.org/ - a British organisation which has taken on the role of inspiring, encouraging connecting, supporting and training communities as they self-organise around the transition model, creating initiatives that rebuild resilience and reduce CO2 emissions.
- http://everydayecointheact.blogspot.com/search/label/Events - a website which provides information about environmental activities/groups in the ACT, including the Transition Towns movement in the ACT
- http://www.see-change.org.au/ - SEE-Change is a community, not-for-profit group that supports and inspires people to join together and act in a sustainable way. Its activities are practical, and based on local Canberra realities. In addition, its aim is to create workable project models to be picked up by other community groups Australia-wide.
- http://sydneyfoodfairness.org.au/ - THE ALLIANCE formed in Sydney in 2005 to coordinate the efforts of rural producers, health professionals, community workers and community-based advocates active in developing a socially, economically and environmentally sustainable food system in the Sydney region.
- http://canberra.climatexchange.org.au/ - a source of information and views on climate change and sustainability solutions for Canberra and region.
Grants and Funding Websites
Grantslink - www.grantslink.gov.au/
DAFF grants & assistance - www.daffa.gov.au/about/grants_and_assistance
DEWHA grants & funding - http://www.environment.gov.au/about/programs/index.html
FRRR grants - www.frrr.org.au/currentprojects.asp
Caring for our Country funding - www.nrm.gov.au/funding/index.html
ACT NRM Council: - http://www.actnrmcouncil.org.au/